[OT] Disk sector size

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Wed Mar 29 15:46:54 PST 2006

:I thought this quote was interesting.  I'm wondering how much work will
:be involved for you guys to accommodate this proposed change:

    Minimal work.  UFS has no problem with a different sector size (unless
    I broke something with recent commits, anyway).  The kernel has no
    problem with it either, since things like CD's already use a fairly
    large (2K) sector size.

    Most of the arguments quoted are incorrect.  The one about the ECC
    length is correct, but the inter-sector gap argument doesn't apply
    to most modern drives because they already do full-track reads and
    writes, without gaps between sectors.  DMA transfers and block I/O
    operations already do much larger I/O's.