Installer question

Tim Darby t-df at timdarby.net
Mon Mar 13 19:11:04 PST 2006

Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
On Sun, March 12, 2006 9:46 am, Tim Darby wrote:

I've been looking at the DF installer this weekend and was wondering
what is the easiest way to create an unattended install of the OS?
Ideally, I'd like to be able to boot a CD and return some time later to
a completely installed and configured base system.

I haven't tried this, but it should be possible to put all installer
choices in a file called "pfi.conf" (for pre-flight installer) and place
it on a floppy or USB stick and have it proceed automatically.
Example fo the file here, I think:
http://cvs.bsdinstaller.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/installer/root_skels/installer/etc/defaults/pfi.conf

Thanks!  Looking at this file, it appears to be a collection of options
that affect the behavior and environment of the installer, which is a
good start but doesn't seem to address the whole picture unless I'm
missing something.  In other words, I want to be able to automatically
create the file systems and all the other things that the installer
presents during an interactive install as well.  Is this just a shell
script that I need to create manually?  How do I get the installer to
launch it?  Or am I approaching this from the wrong angle entirely?

Tim