Ruby on Rails and pkgsrc

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Mon Mar 20 09:06:32 PST 2006

At 8:19 AM -0800 3/20/06, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
On Mon, 20 Mar 2006, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

 Among other things that gems provides is a way to handle
 multiple versions of the same package installed at the
 same time.  Ruby scripts can specify which versions of
 some package that they will work with, and the same OS
 can easily support different scripts which "must have"
 incompatible versions of a given gem.
Just want to mention that pkgsrc provides a feature like
this also also --  where multiple versions of same package
can be installed at same time.  It is not well tested (and
not all packages have been checked), but I have used it
some myself.
I'm not saying anyone should abandon pkgsrc for managing
other packages, since the vast vast majority of packages
have absolutely nothing to do with ruby.  But I would not
abandon ruby-gems only to spend a lot of time and effort
trying to re-package every single gem in some other form.
That is a lot of duplicated effort on an ongoing basis,
and I'm sure that much effort would see much higher rewards
if spent on other areas.
--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at xxxxxxxxxxx