csup import?

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Mon Mar 6 20:52:11 PST 2006

At 11:34 AM +0800 3/7/06, Jiawei Ye wrote:
Hi fellow DF users,

CSup is a cvsup replacement written in C
         ( http://mu.org/~mux/csup.html ).
This was imported in to FreeBSD HEAD a few days ago and so far
has proved to work in checkout mode. Do we have the incentive
to import this into our  system so that we don't need cvsup-bin?
There is a minor compilation error when I tried to build the
latest snapshot from the site on DF-Preview
cc -O ... -c globtree.c
In file included from globtree.c:31:
/usr/include/regex.h:47: error: syntax error before "regoff_t"
/usr/include/regex.h:47: warning: data definition has no type or storage
class
In glancing at this, and comparing /usr/include/regex.h in
FreeBSD vs it in Dragonfly, my guess is that in globtree.c
you need to have:
#include <sys/types.h>

before

#include <regex.h>

However, I also notice that in the most-recent version of
globtree.h in the FreeBSD base system, <sys/types.h> *is*
included before <regex.h>.  The problem is that the snapshot
you have is a few days old.  If you check:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/projects/csup/globtree.c.diff?r1=1.3&r2=1.4&f=h

you'll see that Maxime fixed this same bug just a few days
ago.  In his case, he had to fix it to get 'csup' to compile
on FreeBSD 4.x.  So it isn't surprising that the same issue
has come up for Dragonfly.
I'd appreciated if anyone would help getting this into our
base system.
You might want to wait a little longer (maybe just a few
weeks), as Maxime is still fixing minor bugs in this new
C-based implementation.
Also note that 'csup' is not a *complete* replacement for
cvsup, at least not yet.  So you will probably still need
to keep cvsup-bin around as an option for people.  It may
grow into a complete replacement as time goes on.
Certainly I do think it would be nice to have 'csup' pick up
the duties of the 'cvsup' client wherever it can be used...
--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at xxxxxxxxxxx