Replacing Sendmail with Postfix in the base system

talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr
Wed Jun 14 11:40:35 PDT 2006

joerg at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Third:
> Tell postfix that the alias table is /etc/mail/alias and the database in
> /etc/mail/alias.db. Run newalises.
>
> Joerg

There are small irritating differences between the way sendmail and postfix
treat the aliases. You cannot just rely on pure brute force conversion of
the setup between sendmail and postfix. The example i have in mind is a
problem which is of some importance and burned me, the periodic mail
sent each night to root by cron. Using sendmail aliasing root to myself did
the job. Using postix this did not work, the mail was sent to the mail hub
and went into our sysadm mail box. The solution is here in the postfix faq
http://www.postfix.org/faq.html#some_local
I am sure there are a number of similar small differences which preclude
simply turning a knob in rc.conf.

--
Michel Talon