Replacing Sendmail with Postfix in the base system

talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr
Wed Jun 14 11:29:59 PDT 2006

Freddie Cash wrote:

> Just because you can build the world with sendmail support (or bind
> support, or whatever support) doesn't mean those pieces are actually
> removed from the running system.

Last time i did that on FreeBSD, at least, this did not remove the sendmail
binaries, and much worse, in my opinion, the sendmail man pages. And
without painting the sendmail bikeshed in green or red, a new security
advisory for sendmail appeared just today on FreeBSD. There was another one
around a month ago. Yes contrarily to what you guys are saying, sendmail
still has a continuous flux of security flaws. As you sure know, NetBSD
has  decided to remove sendmail from the base system and replace it by
postfix.

--
Michel Talon