Replacing Sendmail with Postfix in the base system

Kevin L. Kane kevin.kane at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 10:20:12 PDT 2006

I really wish that. However, in the near coming days, noone will use
DragonFly on desktop simply because Linux and FreeBSD will have OpenGL
accelerated X for which you need 3rd party drivers. I briefly installed
KDE on FreeBSD without nvidia drivers. It was ok, but GUI was slow,
redrawing windows was slow(same on DragonFly), then I installed nvidia
drivers and now it's very smooth, ready for desktop use. Sadly, there
won't be nvidia drivers for DragonFly any time soon.
I'd like to see 3rd party drivers not included if there are NDA
requirements of binary and other crap.  Nothing will change if you
just give in and use the crap they are pushing.
So basically we are back to the "It's been there for ages, sometimes
working, sometimes not, but it's BSD written so we keep it there
irrespectively of whether its crap or not". Gee, and I thought DragonFly
was progressive.
To me it seems like people are just jumping on the sendmail hating
bandwagon because of the NetBSD decision.  What NetBSD does is not
necessarily what DragonFly should do.  If DragonFly mirrored every
decision of the other BSDs then there would be no reason for DragonFly
to exist.
With that said here's my opinion on the subject.  A tiny local only
MTA in the base system is what I would like to see.  People that need
a full featured MTA and a custom setup can fend for themselves with
pkgsrc or by hand.
If the argument for keeping sendmail is that DFly will be used as a
server and should include a full featured MTA, isnt a server just as
likely to serve http?  Shouldnt it include apache?  I consider this to
not be a real argument for the inclusion of sendmail(over a local only
MTA).  The base system requires at minimum a local only MTA and that
is what it 'should' have.
-Kevin

--
Kevin L. Kane