DragonflyBSD on the desktop (was: Re: Replacing Sendmail with Postfix in the base system)

Kevin L. Kane kevin.kane at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 10:12:20 PDT 2006

Is there an official binary driver policy for DragonFly?  I understand
people want the fast GUI and stuff to work, but giving in to the crap
that companies push on the open source community isn't acceptable in
my opinion.  Its just going to ultimately prolong the problem and
diminish the efforts of people trying to get companies to open up
their drivers.
Personally, I would say its good if you don't support the likes of nvidia.

-Kevin

On 6/14/06, Thomas Schlesinger <schlesinger at xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am Mittwoch, 14. Juni 2006 15:49 schrieb elekktretterr at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
> > I dispute that. DragonFly will be just as suited for desktops as Linux
> > is. Simply because X works and desktop environments work on it.
>
> I really wish that. However, in the near coming days, noone will use
> DragonFly on desktop simply because Linux and FreeBSD will have OpenGL
> accelerated X for which you need 3rd party drivers. I briefly installed
> KDE on FreeBSD without nvidia drivers. It was ok, but GUI was slow,
> redrawing windows was slow(same on DragonFly), then I installed nvidia
> drivers and now it's very smooth, ready for desktop use. Sadly, there
> won't be nvidia drivers for DragonFly any time soon.
Well, I use KDE on Dragonfly, with an ATI Mobility X600 on my notebook and a
Nvidia card on my desktop. I wouldn't say, it feels slow compared to Linux,
but that may be a subjective thing. But I agree, that OpenGL could become
more important, when KDE4 will arrive next year with new eyecandy.
For me, the lack of (building) desktop apps I want to use in pkgsrc are a
greater problem.
Thomas

--
Kevin L. Kane