3D Acceleration and DragonFly

Dmitri Nikulin dnikulin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 05:10:44 PDT 2006

On 6/7/06, Petr Janda <elekktretterr at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
When, NVIDIA out of question, what vga card/menufacturer has good 3d
acceleration and will work in DragonFly? ATI, Matrox etc?
Difficult question. DragonFly's kernel has direct rendering for a few
cards (including some of the older Radeon chips which are still good
for many things). However, if you want "good" 3D acceleration, you
have to go to a new generation... which aren't supported *anywhere*
without binary blobs. Which, incidentally, are entirely incompatible
with DragonFly's kernel. And nVidia seem to be the least sucky of the
current generation vendors, but that's not saying much.
What do you need it for? If you're out for Free Unix gaming which
requires acceleration, you probably won't see much point in running
DragonFly - it has virtually no corporate support at this stage,
through no fault of the developers. Linux will work okay, and so will
FreeBSD. I don't know which is more stable right now, or more
performant for whatever work load... and your Linux experience will
depend highly on your distribution. And let me tell you, they all suck
in their own special ways.
Now if you're after some CAD work that's different, and something
about which I know nothing :)
 -- Dmitri Nikulin