Argh, Stray interrupts 2006

Dmitri Nikulin dnikulin at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 16:27:06 PDT 2006

On 6/4/06, Danial Thom <danial_thom at xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Talk about wasting a lot of time! lol
Yeah, I really miss those 5 minutes now that I come to think about it.
The difference between being an idiot and using Google is about the
same as the difference between a long time and 5 minutes.
Please just drop it. Matt is very busy continuing to make DragonFly's
kernel architecture a work of art, work which is necessary for the
project to fulfill its goals, *after* which we can all talk merrily
about what we wish it could do for us, including uselessly high-end
network optimization and brain-dead-friendly installers if you insist.
Meanwhile, you have lots of other systems which fulfill *those* roles,
and if they're more important to you than an actual quality system, go
play with them. I suppose your problem is that you only indulge in
what you perceive as failure, and think that everybody is as
interested in large amounts of money as you.
People like Matt leave a historical mark on Unix and the world as a
result. Everybody knows K&R, even though they weren't gloriously rich.
Nobody knows you, because despite all your wealth, you've done nothing
to advance the state of the art itself. Moving your 'many millions' is
a drop in the bucket for the whole industry surrounding computing.
Matt has started a project, gathered other abnormally talented
developers, and applied countless man-hours to an ambituous goal which
is *still* only getting closer with no sign of impending failure. If
that isn't the pinnacle of success I don't know what is. And that's
*one* of his projects, he has many others.
If Matt was interested in industry recognition he would be staying
with FreeBSD or Linux instead of engineering a project which focuses
on a pure, scientific level of quality and suitability for mentioned
goals, and there is not even a remote chance that the scientific
computing field won't openly embrace such a product to replace the
hack stack that is OpenMOSIX.
So shut up, will you? Don't try to force-feed others your own values,
don't try to pretend that the point of open source is something it
clearly isn't to anyone with any graduated comprehension ability, and
just generally don't say anything unless it's somehow helpful or at
the very least polite.
 -- Dmitri Nikulin