Any serious production servers yet?

Danial Thom danial_thom at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 3 16:08:44 PDT 2006

--- walt <wa1ter at xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> James Mansion wrote:
> [...]
> > Actually I work in a rather large bank and I
> write
> > trading systems...
>
> The most important thing I've learned from
> reading this
> thread is that DragonFly continues to attract
> attention
> from an amazing variety of bright people all
> around the
> world.
>
> Even though I don't understand a lot of the
> technical
> talk I read in these groups, I think I know
> enough
> about people to be able to spot competent ones
> when I
> see them.
>
> I see no reason to doubt a bright future for
> DragonFly.

The reason DFLY is getting attention is because
there's nothing else out there and we've about
had it with the FreeBSD camp. FreeBSD has the
right idea, but not the talent to get the job
done. Matt unfortunately doesn't understand or
care what the market wants;  he's more on a
personal mission of some sort that has nothing to
do with providing the marketplace with the next
generation 'BSD performer that it wants.

Someone eventually will wrestle either FreeBSD or
DFLY away, or branch off and do what needs to be
done. Unfortunately it may take longer than a lot
of us were hoping for.

On the other hand, we may never see a team like
the original BSD team talent-wise. The Beatles
have broken up, and things may never be the same
again.

DT