NVIDIA FreeBSD Kernel Feature Requests, interesting info for dfly?

Jose timofonic soytimofonico at yahoo.es
Fri Jun 30 16:42:13 PDT 2006

Hello,

I found this on osnews
(http://osnews.com/story.php?news_id=15056) and maybe
it can be interesting for DragonFly too...

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2006-June/016995.html

Here is a small part of the text:

"NVIDIA has been looking at ways to improve its
graphics driver for the
FreeBSD i386 platform, as well as investigating the
possibility of adding
support for the FreeBSD amd64 platform, and identified
a number of
obstacles. Some progress has been made to resolve
them, and NVIDIA would
like to summarize the current status. We would also
like to thank John
Baldwin and Doug Rabson for their valuable help.

This summary makes an attempt to describe the kernel
interfaces needed by
the NVIDIA FreeBSD i386 graphics driver to achieve
feature parity with
the Linux/Solaris graphics drivers, and/or required to
make support for
the FreeBSD amd64 platform feasible. It also describes
some of the
technical difficulties encountered by NVIDIA during
the FreeBSD i386
graphics driver's development, how these problems have
been worked around
and what could be done to solve them better.

While the following is focused on the NVIDIA FreeBSD
graphics drivers, we
believe the interfaces discussed below are generally
applicable to any
modern high performance graphics driver."

Personally I don't like the use of closed-source
device drivers, but maybe some suggestions mentioned
on that message thread can be good for giving some
ideas and improving DragonFly in many tasks too.

Devs: What are your think about it? :)

Best regards,
timofonic

PS: Sorry for the older message, I'm not in home and
did a mistake when sending the message.

LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.
http://es.voice.yahoo.com