USB Pen drive

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Wed Jun 28 03:48:56 PDT 2006

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 10:51:36 +0100
Rob Andrews <rob at xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 28-Jun-2006 09:51.34 (BST), Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
>  > > usbd shouldn't be needed for a USB mass storage device (e.g. like a
>  > > pen drive).
>  > 	I thought it was needed to manage the dynamic connect/disconnect
>  > recognition (the man page indicates that it is so I've always used it). Does
>  > that all happen properly without usbd ?
>
> All of the connect/disconnect events are handled at the HCD (host controller
> driver) driver level. usbd can act upon connect events to, say, start moused
> when a USB mouse is connected (this is defined in the configuration by
> default).

	So this section of man usbd (the first paragraph) needs a rewrite ?

     The usbd utility handles USB device attachment and detachment.  It does
     two things.  Through opening the /dev/usb0, /dev/usb1, etc. devices, it
     enables the kernel to handle change requests from attached hubs.  This
     functionality will be removed when the kernel has kernel threads.  The
     (multiple) -f device command line options specify which controllers it
     should handle.  Normally this option is not needed.

	Or does that refer to something other than attaching devices to
their nodes ?