Replacing Sendmail with Postfix in the base system

Claus Assmann dragonfly-users at esmtp.org
Wed Jun 14 11:47:00 PDT 2006

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     Well, for example, did you know that it is virtually impossible to use
>     a DBM database in a threaded program due to the stupid POSIX-says-you-
>     must-release-all-locks-on-close() problem?  You can't treat the threads

That's not a problem in libmilter, is it?

>     as independant entities because of that locking issue.  Have you ever
>     tried doing a DNS lookup from a threaded program?

Yes. sendmail X does it. I had to write the code myself because
there was no thread safe resolver at that time. It's no fun, but I
implemented an asynchronous resolver in a multi-threaded program.

>     It took literally weeks for me to track down problems with my libmilter
>     code due to the threading.

Sorry, but I don't see why you came to the conclusion to say there
are "races" in the sendmail (libmilter) code.

>     I'll tell you what I want for a spam filter... just a simple unix
>     domain socket that the filter can listen and accept connections on.

Feel free to use the MTA - libmilter protocol to write your own
library (it's fairly simple). In fact, there are other implementations
available (e.g., jilter).

May we close this subthread with the conclusion that you have
not found a "race" in libmilter? Thanks.