Replacing Sendmail with Postfix in the base system

joerg at britannica.bec.de joerg at britannica.bec.de
Wed Jun 14 11:25:05 PDT 2006

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 11:07:33AM -0700, Freddie Cash wrote:
> IMO (which counts for as much as a lady-bug's), sendmail should be
> removed from base completely.  Include a simple local-only mailer.

PLEASE GUYS, READ THE ARCHIVE.

A local-only mailer is not an option, since it would break too many
things. An alias for root to admin at xxxxxxxxxxx is not that uncommon.
Depending on the MTA to deliver mails from scripts or MUAs is not that
uncommon.

For forwarding- and local-only mailers, the options are quite limited.
Most of them are GPL, which is in my opinion a regression.

I don't care much about sendmail in base. I know I can use it for simple
stuff, I know I can easily replace it (and I'm doing that on my server).
So what's the big deal?

Joerg