Replacing Sendmail with Postfix in the base system

Vladimir Mitiouchev vovcia at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 03:47:33 PDT 2006

14 Jun 2006 08:22:55 GMT, Oliver Fromme <check+j0uazm00rs6d84yn at xxxxxxxxxx>:
 > Seeing that sendmail is old,archaic, not-as-secure and difficult we should
That's bike-shed stuff.  :-)
Oh, that's true, for sure.

Sendmail is old (but actively maintained), but that doesn't
mean that it's bad.  E.g. qmail is much newer than sendmail,
but is it better?  I don't think so.
I would tell more - older software is often better software, just
because it's widely used and maintained for long time..
But, on the other hand, new software is being built from scratch,
using new ideas and not doing old mistakes. DragonFly, for example. I
really appreciate DJB software, his code is.. mhmm... delicious.
Finally I also disagree on "diificult".  Sendmail's master
configuration (.mc) format is well documented.
Don't forget commercial options! I think, that's really awesome..

For 99% of users (those who don't run a mail server, but
just want cron mails to be delivered locally) there is even
no need to configure anything.  It works right out of the
box.
Just like qmail. What's the difference?

--
Sincerely Yours,