What is DF aimed at?

Danial Thom danial_thom at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 4 16:37:14 PDT 2006

--- Matthew Dillon <dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> :Uh, how do you get that? Clustering implies
> :networking, and Matt has repeatedly stated
> that
> :he doesn't really care about network
> performance.
> :
> :And clustering implies servers, which Matt has
> :recently and repeatedly stated aren't his
> focal
> :point. I don't see how you can have one as a
> goal
> :and not the other. Clustering required hightly
> :efficient networking first and foremost.
> :
> :DT
>
>     Er, I said no such thing.  You apparently
> did not read my
>     posting(s) very carefully.

You said you only wanted "very good networking"
and that if you wanted to push traffic at the
bleeding edge you should get dedicated hardware
solutions from cisco.

You know optimizing networking isn't such a bad
thing. You can have your cake and eat it too.
Having stellar networking performance will not
hurt your project, nor is it a "waste of time".
It would make your OS much more attractive to a
much wider user base. Even Intel gave in and
decided to build a CPU to win the benchmarks.
People want the best. No-one is going to notice
if you're 3rd best, but everyone will notice if
you're #1.

DT