Any serious production servers yet?

talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr
Fri Jun 2 15:08:28 PDT 2006

Danial Thom wrote:

> That is the "Wall" for people who are on real
> networks. You could always count on the wall
> advancing as our buddies at AMD and Intel
> increased the GHZ. Now we're going sideways, and
> many can't afford to have the wall regress to
> accommodate smoother audio performance.

Danial

this is the wall for *you* and only for you. Do you want to know the truth
for me? I could not care less if you can route gigabit links with BSD
and filter them with pf. If i was in the situation to do that i would buy
dedicated hardware. But i care very much that the software i am using runs
smoothly, and for that several processors give a very considerable bonus.
With *my* present needs  FreeBSD, DragonFly and  Linux give a
very good experience. There are certainly far more machines running tomcat
or jboss servers with a lot of threads which greatly and immediately benefit
from dual cores or more, than commodity machines used to do the job of
dedicated hardware.
And yes, as Kris said, jemalloc works well at present on FreeBSD.

--
Michel Talon