Any serious production servers yet?

Justin C. Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Fri Jun 2 06:34:41 PDT 2006

On Fri, June 2, 2006 2:09 am, Dave Hayes wrote:
>> The wiki presents a nice alternative; it's much easier to add to.
>
> Except it's recently been unstable. At some point I presume it will
> become stable again. :)

I think it's stable now; the issue wasn't stability as much as "missing".

> If no one else beats me to it, I guess the best
> place to start would be to bring up a DFly desktop, journal my
> experiences, and attempt to put something together which can hopefully
> be maintained.

I've been doing something similar with the DragonFly BSD Log (
http://www.shiningsilence.com/dbsdlog/ ).  Perhaps we should have
something similar to freebsddiary.org?

> Perhaps the real way to document the process of getting to a place
> where you can just say "install this" is to write a shell script?
> I've been using that methodology to document processes for quite some
> time.

You mean a shell script that automates certain common processes?  That
would be handy.

I have been thinking that instead of larger documents like the Handbook,
we could work on creating a series of how-to documents, like other
systems.  This may be more maintainable, and translates more directly to
Wiki material, which is so far the easiest way for folks to contribute.