Replacing Sendmail with Postfix in the base system

Freddie Cash fcash-ml at sd73.bc.ca
Wed Jun 14 11:08:39 PDT 2006

On Wed, June 14, 2006 7:54 am, Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
> On Wed, June 14, 2006 9:49 am, elekktretterr at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Right now, we can switch out to any MTA people want, including
> Postfix.

Several people have mentioned that you can remove sendmail from the
base by just setting NO_SENDMAIL in make.conf and rebuilding the
world.  BUT, nobody has mentioned if that actually removes the old
pieces of sendmail that are already in the filesystem.  For example,
if you install DFly on a clean harddrive, set NO_SENDMAIL in
make.conf, rebuild the world, install the world, reboot, and look in
/usr/lib ... will sendmail still be there?

If it is, then someone should probably have a look at revamping the
build process so that those bits listed as NO_* in make.conf are
actually removed.

Just because you can build the world with sendmail support (or bind
support, or whatever support) doesn't mean those pieces are actually
removed from the running system.