Replacing Sendmail with Postfix in the base system

Justin C. Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Wed Jun 14 10:35:46 PDT 2006

On Wed, June 14, 2006 1:15 pm, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     Urm.  I dunno.  I think I'd rather we moved to a postfix default, just
>     because postfix has been out there for a long time now and is a
>     completely proven subsystem.

I realize I'm asking for something I can't implement myself, but: I'd
prefer a local-only system by default and have postfix available (at
install time?) as a package.

This makes upgrades a bit easier, since it decouples the MTA from the
system, and it slightly reduces the amount of documentation that might, in
theory, get written.

Also, if Sendmail X turns out to be the cat's pajamas, or someone mails
this list again with the subject "Replacing Postfix with Sendmail in the
base system", for instance, there will be a mechanism to handle that.