3D Acceleration and DragonFly

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Wed Jun 7 07:10:25 PDT 2006

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 15:18:52 +0200
Gergo Szakal <bastyaelvtars at xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 22:08:07 +1000
> "Dmitri Nikulin" <dnikulin at xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >Linux will work okay, and so will
> >FreeBSD. I don't know which is more stable right now, or more
> >performant for whatever work load... and your Linux experience will
> >depend highly on your distribution. And let me tell you, they all suck
> >in their own special ways.
>
> If one is about to use an ATI card, then Linux is the only choice. I have an XGI one, so my only choice can be Windows. :-(

	Er really ?

pci1: <ATI model 5157 graphics accelerator> at 0.0 irq 11
drm0: <ATI Radeon QW RV200 7500> port 0xd800-0xd8ff mem
0xd7000000-0xd700ffff,0xd8000000-0xdfffffff irq 11 at device 0.0 on pci1

	works fine with DRI in FreeBSD and DragonFly - my 9200SE OTOH
does not like the Asus/Via motherboards I have and locks up with either if
DRI is enabled. I have seen a lot of reports of the same behaviour under
Linux too and reports of the same card working fine with DRI under FreeBSD
on different motherboards. I did hear a rumour that some changes in the
FreeBSD code for the AGP chipset involved might make it work - but I
haven't anything running that recent a FreeBSD and I haven't got round to
trying to port the changes to DragonFly.