What is DF aimed at?

Danial Thom danial_thom at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 4 18:26:26 PDT 2006

--- Dmitri Nikulin <dnikulin at xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 6/5/06, Danial Thom <danial_thom at xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >

> > --- Matthew Dillon
> <dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > :Uh, how do you get that? Clustering
> implies
> > > :networking, and Matt has repeatedly stated
> > > that
> > > :he doesn't really care about network
> > > performance.
> > > :
> > > :And clustering implies servers, which Matt
> has
> > > :recently and repeatedly stated aren't his
> > > focal
> > > :point. I don't see how you can have one as
> > > goal
> > > :and not the other. Clustering required
> hightly
> > > :efficient networking first and foremost.
> > > :
> > > :DT
> > >
> > >     Er, I said no such thing.  You
> apparently
> > > did not read my
> > >     posting(s) very carefully.
> >
> > You said you only wanted "very good
> networking"
> > and that if you wanted to push traffic at the
> > bleeding edge you should get dedicated
> hardware
> > solutions from cisco.
> >
> > You know optimizing networking isn't such a
> bad
> > thing. You can have your cake and eat it too.
> > Having stellar networking performance will
> not
> > hurt your project, nor is it a "waste of
> time".
> > It would make your OS much more attractive to
> > much wider user base. Even Intel gave in and
> > decided to build a CPU to win the benchmarks.
> > People want the best. No-one is going to
> notice
> > if you're 3rd best, but everyone will notice
> if
> > you're #1.
>
> People use Linux and it's far from the best in
> security, stability and
> for many cases even performance. They use it
> because it does a lot and
> is marketable. Done. Quality doesn't matter
> otherwise it would never
> have left the garage.
>
> Even so, optimizing every last possible drop
> from the network stack is
> *not* compatible with the goals of this
> project. For example, if you
> understand the LWKT system and Matt's
> presentation/emails regarding
> the way socket threads are distributed on
> multi-processor systems,
> you'll note that they're split by port and
> bound to that CPU for their
> lifetime. This means that load balancing is not
> as optimal as
> possible, since actual load is not factored in.
> However, work
> aggregation is a lot more successful, because
> migrations are costly.
> Also, the system itself is near lockless and,
> as far as localised
> network stacks go, impressively optimal
> [...]

It seems to me, that if your "methods" are sound,
that you should be able to beat FreeBsd and
linux. Why is that not a worthy goal? FreeBSD 4.x
with 1 processor beats linux with 2 by a wide
margine. How difficult can it be to simply be
better with 2 processors than Freebsd 4.x is with
one? Thats really the only criteria for getting
past the wall.

we all know that freebsd 5.x+ sucks. being better
than that shouldnt be something to reject.

Dt