BootBlocks.

Marcin Jessa lists at yazzy.org
Sun Jun 4 11:48:18 PDT 2006

On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 15:21:38 +0200
talon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Marcin Jessa wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 11:00:01 +0100
> > Max von Seibold <maxvonseibold at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> > Hi Max.
> >
> >> Regarding the issues of production servers. I would like to point
> >> out that as a relative *nix newbie I chose Dragonfly because it
> >> was new. OpenBSD and NetBSD seemed daunting and FreeBSD seemed
> >> wrapped up in all manner of debate.
> >
> > Could you please explain why NetBSD seems daunting?
> > I am curious about what needs to be done differently to encourage a
> > newcommer such as yourself to give it a try?
> > It uses the same packaging system as DragonFlyBSD and the
> > installation procedure is pretty straight forward (as opposite to
> > OpenBSD).
>
> Just an example, if you are a foreigner with for example a french
> keyboard, you discover after install that your keyboard is not
> configured.
>You need to discover how to cope with that in the rc.*
> system, to edit the file with your unconfigured keyboard etc. etc.
> This seems trivial but it is a good reason to fly away for a
> newcomer.

This is set up during installation process. You can chose what kind of
keyboard you have. You must have tried an old release of NetBSD.

> I mention this problem since i have encountered it, i am
> sure there are a lot of similar ones. FreeBSD is not especially
> glorious to install but at least such trivial things are solved by
> the installer since ages. Anyways the present standard for installers
> is much nicer, take a look at the recent Ubuntu which has just been
> released. Newcomers have no reason to use a more arcane system, with
> a crappy installer,

See, Ubuntu is developed for x86 desktops. NetBSD is developed as a
multi platform Operating System and uses the same installer on those
platforms. NetBSD does things in a very flexible manner so you don't
have to hack a whole lot of code to achieve the same goal they way it's
done on Linux. Both just aim different markeds.
You'd rather use a tank in combat than a fancy car to get through
all kinds of obstickles and not just drive on a high way :)

>a kernel which underperforms considerably in a
> lot of domains when such marvelous Linux distros can be downloaded at
> a click of the mouse.

I dont understand this sentence. Underperforms in what way?
What does kernel has to do with downloading of iso's ?

Marcin.