BootBlocks.

John Von Essen john at essenz.com
Sat Jun 3 11:40:51 PDT 2006

The KISS method is something rarely followed these days.

One of the reasons why I liked FreeBSD's sysinstall is that it is
simple, I rarely use all of its features. Just Custom -> Minimal ->
Partition -> Commit -> and Reboot!

The install takes about 3 minutes! I can rollout 20 FreeBSD systems in
just over an hour. Pkg level customization can easily be scripted after
that via ports. Compare that to a Redhat installer which can take 45
minutes from start to finish.

I hope the DFly installer remains simple. It just has to setup boot
loader, allow user to partition disk to their liking, then make a
filesystem and install core OS. Thats it.

Its up to debate what the "core" OS will include (sendmail vs exim vs
nothing, will perl be there, and so on). But trying to make an
installer that will allow you to add/remove pkg's during the initial
setup is a complete waste of time. Just reboot and do it once the
system is up via the DFly pkg system - whatever that may be.

In a perfect world, I would love the installer to remain text-based and
simple. And in an even more perfect world, have something similiar to
/usr/ports to work from once the system is up.

-John