Sound question.

Freddie Cash fcash-ml at sd73.bc.ca
Thu Jun 1 14:08:58 PDT 2006

On Thu, June 1, 2006 12:31 pm, Max von Seibold wrote:
> Sorry for a somewhat open question here. I have just installed
> Dragonfly on my machine and am considering which directions to take
> with sound.

> Can anyone tell me which sound server they would recommend (I saw
> JACK in the pkgsrc list) and have heard good things about it. However
> im somewhat daunted about getting ALSA to work...

ALSA == Advanced Linux Sound Architecture.  ie:  it's not available on
anything but Linux.  :)

Getting sound working on BSD is much simpler.  Just load the kernel
module for all the sound drivers, run "cat /dev/sndstat" to see if the
kernel detected your sound chipset, then add a line to
/boot/loader.conf to autoload that kernel module at boot.  I do not
remember what the kernel module name is to load all the sound drivers
on FreeBSD4/DFlyBSD, though.  I think it's just snd (kldload snd; cat
/dev/sndstat).

Anyway, read through the snd(4) man page, and all the man pages
referenced by it.

Getting sound working on BSD is easy, if the chipset is supported.  :)

----
Freddie Cash, LPCI-1 CCNT CCLP        Helpdesk / Network Support Tech.
School District 73                    (250) 377-HELP [377-4357]
fcash-ml at xxxxxxxxxx