NVIDIA FreeBSD Kernel Feature Requests, interesting info for dfly?

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu Jul 13 09:01:48 PDT 2006

   Er.  I don't think it has anything to do with video.  It is quite simply
   the fact that windows has tens of thousands of user-friendly GUI
   applications and name brand software from thousands of vendors.  Even
   Apple can't really compete with them, and Apple arguably has some of
   the best video interfaces in existance.

   I don't really think it is possible for us to compete in that area, at
   least not by ourselves.  We have to rely on the larger open source
   community, in particular the more linux-centric community, to write and
   maintain the applications that drive a consumer market.

   If Open Source has an achilles heal then user-friendly application
   software is where it is.  There are only a handful of OSS applications
   that are comparable with regards to user friendliness and easy-to-use
   features, and plenty of really *BAD* examples of UI software gone
   wrong (gimp's horrendously bad UI comes to mind).

   The UI is certainly not DragonFly's focus, and it will never be.  We
   have to rely on the rest of the Open Source community to provide that
   piece of the puzzle.