A mobile user's wishlist

Thomas Schlesinger schlesinger at netcologne.de
Sat Jul 8 09:45:27 PDT 2006

Am Samstag, 8. Juli 2006 18:08 schrieb Rob Andrews:
> Thomas Schlesinger wrote:
> > > I don't know about console, but isn't the xorg 'synaptics' module
> > > enough to get that working?
> >
> > you don't need the synaptics driver to get your synaptics touchpad
> > working, but you can't use some features then, like the vertical
> > scrolling.  I would like to use exactly this feature, it's as helpful as
> > a scrollwheel at a mouse, I don't want to miss it.
>
> Yes, the touchpad presents itself as a ps/2 style device, but when using
> X it does add the button 4 & 5 emulation.
>
> I haven't tried the xorg synaptics driver in dragonfly yet - I should
> imagine that it builds, but does it not work?

Rob,

there's no synaptics driver in xorg for pkgsrc. If you try to load it, you'll
get this message in your Xorg.0.log:

> (II) LoadModule: "synaptics"
> (WW) Warning, couldn't open module synaptics
> (II) UnloadModule: "synaptics"
> (EE) Failed to load module "synaptics" (module does not exist, 0)

If you look at /usr/pkg/xorg/lib/modules/input, you won't find a
synaptics_drv.so.

The driver, I'm speaking about, is this one:
http://web.telia.com/~u89404340/touchpad/

FreeBSD hat a port for it in x11-servers/synaptics. I'm not sure, if there are
some prerequisites for the kernel necessary, so I posted it on users@ instead
of the pkgsrc list.

Thomas