Cannot mount / when booting from disk

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Jul 28 09:19:20 PDT 2006

:>     The most common problem is with BIOSes which try to automatically
:>     recognize the operating system and then put the disk in a weird mode
:>     that prevents the OS from being able to access the disk...
:
:The reason I didn't consider this sort of thing is that I would
:expect the BIOS to pull the same trick whether booting a CD or
:booting from disk.  So, why should the install-CD not have the
:same problem?  Same BIOS...

    BIOSes operate on CDs very, very differently from hard drives.  There
    is no slice table and the CD is limited in size.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>