Locked out - need a little help (caution: n00b meter on high!)

Jonathan Fosburgh jonathan at fosburgh.org
Sun Jul 30 20:56:19 PDT 2006

On Sunday 30 July 2006 23:09, Gergo Szakal wrote:
> Peter Avalos wrote:
> > Since the n00b meter was pegged, I'm assuming you don't know about manual
> > pages: 'man chsh' could have helped you figure this out:
> >
> > chsh -s /bin/sh
>
> Yeah, I was in a hurry and forgot to RTFM before posting, sorry about that.
> Thanks to all for the answers, they are way trivial, shame on me that
> they did not jump into my brain. At least I have learnt from my
> mistake(s), so I am really thankful.

This is actually why FreeBSD has a user named toor (I don't know if DFly still
has this user as I don't have access to a DFly box at the moment).  The
recommendation is never to change root's shell, in part because of this very
reason.  Another reason is that the filesystem that has /usr/pkg/bin may be
b0rked, or something may have happened to a shared library, etc.  The toor
user exists for people who want to set their root shell to something other
than the current default but without those problems.