Fwd: disk diagnostics

Pieter Dumon pieter.dumon at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 03:46:31 PDT 2006

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Pieter Dumon <pieter.dumon at xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Jul 26, 2006 12:44 PM
Subject: Re: disk diagnostics
No, nothing like that. It's the same whether I'm running it in a
console or in an xterm running as the only app in X. And the make
buildworld for instance is only adding a little bit to the X and xterm
cpu usage. I get the same problem for instance when untarring an
archive of some tens of MB: it takes ages.
but as said before: I will post some logs this evening (GMT+1) or so.

BTW: the make buildworld,buildkernel etc cycle has never been a
problem while X/KDE is running.... It makes a marginal difference in
the world and kernel compile times, unless you're running cpu
intensive things under X of course.
Pieter

On 7/26/06, Bill Hacker <wbh at xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Bill Hacker wrote:

*SNIP*

> *Especially so* if it has a filemanager view window open and is trying
> to keep it current and sorted.
Also - are you perchance logging the progress and/or appending to a file?

Bill