NTFS-3G: Full Read-Write Open Source Linux NTFS Driver using FUSE

Dmitri Nikulin dnikulin at gmail.com
Sun Jul 16 00:34:33 PDT 2006

On 7/16/06, Jose timofonic <soytimofonico at xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

I was quite surprised when a developer created a full
read/write NTFS driver using FUSE. It's said to being
twice faster than EXT3 and 20%-50% faster than
commercial competitors, and he is using an userland
layer (FUSE).
Let's be fair - it's only measuring the file creation/deletion, not
the IO throughput which is where a lot of jobs bottleneck. Also worth
noting it is implied as neither 64-bit nor endian clean, implying
something very bad about the development practices.
Could this be useful for DragonFly too? They are using
FUSE, but I'm not sure about the license compatibility
(it uses the GPL license).
Once DragonFly *has* FUSE (or, as discussed, a FUSE->VFS compatibility
bridge), it should be simple enough to install this from pkgsrc (well,
assuming FUSE kits start appearing in pkgsrc). FreeBSD has a FUSE via
Ports, along with some existing file systems, and it's reasonable to
expect this kit to appear in Ports soon, provided it's actually
portable.
---
Dmitri Nikulin
Centre for Synchrotron Science