Asynchronous Console Messages?

Ben Cadieux ben.cadieux at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 16:07:20 PDT 2006

Hi everyone,

I've always been a little curious about the way the typical unix
console works.  Why is it that applications must wait for text to be
displayed on the console before continuing operation?  Shouldn't these
messages merely enter into a queue to be displayed whenever the system
can get to them instead of slowing things down to the maximum speed
they can be output?
Perhaps I'm mistaken about this issue :) -- and I'm certain that if
I'm not there's a reason for it working the way it does.  I wouldn't
mind knowing the reason, though!
Best Regards,
Ben Cadieux