pkgviews, anyone?

YONETANI Tomokazu qhwt+dfly at les.ath.cx
Thu Jul 27 05:07:44 PDT 2006

Hi.
I just tried pkgviews feature after briefly reading PKGVIEWS_UG file;
it doesn't seem to work, although Google pops up many positive articles
out there posted around 2004 - 2005.

The first problem was that register-pkg target tries to remove the package
directory before doing anything, but since this target is built *AFTER*
do-install, in which everything is installed into that directory, only
package metafiles are created in it.  I commented out the ${RM} line
and it get past that part.

The next problem was the test at the beginning of for loop in
su-build-views target; since ${PKGVIEWS} is an empty string by default,
the loop body never gets executed.  Ok, I removed this part too.
(setting DEFAULT_VIEW in /etc/mk.conf also worked, but then it installs
the links in /usr/pkg/${DEFAULT_VIEW} and this is not what I wanted)

The third problem was that it tries to find the package name using
${PKG_INFO_CMD}; since su-build-views target is executed as a dependency
to privileged-install-hook target, which is executed *AFTER* register-pkg,
${PKG_INFO_CMD} finds the package that's just been added by register-pkg
targets and barfs (barfs but seems to work :).

Now, when I tried to install gmake, it stopped with the following
message:
  gettext-tools-0.14.5 requires installed package gettext-lib-0.14.5nb2
  ERROR: [depends.mk] A package matching ``{gettext>=0.10.36,gettext-tools>=0.14.5}'' should
  ERROR:     be installed, but one cannot be found.  Perhaps there is a
  ERROR:     stale work directory for ../../devel/gettext-tools?
  *** Error code 1

  Stop.
  bmake: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/devel/gmake

Hmm, no idea how to cope with this...