Would DF welcome a phpbb forum?

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Tue Jan 17 08:43:16 PST 2006

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 10:51:24 -0500 (EST)
"Justin C. Sherrill" <justin at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, January 17, 2006 5:03 am, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
>
> > 	<nitpick)USENET has been around since 1980 - NNTP is just a
> > transport protocol for it</nitpick>
>
> How was the material in USENET slung around before there was NNTP?

	UUCP over modem links mainly with some carried around in SOUP
(Simple Offline USENET Protocol).

> > 	<thought>If a web forum is so vital (in some minds[1]) for being
> > trendy it's not hard to write a web based threaded news reader with PHP
> > or mod_perl or similar - there might even be one available off the shelf
> > :)
> > This would seem to me to be a more useful thing for the OP to do than
> > setting up a disconnected forum which if succesful may just cause people
> > to need to track *both*.
>
> http://www.gmane.org/ is one example.  Hmm...

	Interesting outfit but not quite what I had in mind - think in terms
of something that looks like a web forum but talks NNTP in the backend
to the newsgroups instead of using a database or whatever the web fora
do.

> If we could combine the mail content and BB
> interface, that's be great, since I think it's the interface in which the
> original poster is interested.

	Exactly what I am suggesting.