Would DF welcome a phpbb forum?

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Tue Jan 17 02:08:31 PST 2006

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 09:04:04 +0100
Sascha Wildner <saw at xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> NNTP was
> exactly made for the purpose you describe, even though it gets 20 years
> old this year.

	<nitpick)USENET has been around since 1980 - NNTP is just a
transport protocol for it</nitpick>

	<thought>If a web forum is so vital (in some minds[1]) for being
trendy it's not hard to write a web based threaded news reader with PHP
or mod_perl or similar - there might even be one available off the shelf :)
This would seem to me to be a more useful thing for the OP to do than
setting up a disconnected forum which if succesful may just cause people
to need to track *both*.

[1] Personally I am quite happy with mailing lists.