Qmail install success on 1.4; possible package bug?

Tim Darby t-df at timdarby.net
Tue Jan 10 20:41:40 PST 2006

Justin C. Sherrill wrote:

Tim Darby wrote:

I got Qmail up and running today on 1.4 and it looks good.  Coming
from OpenBSD and having never done anything with FreeBSD or DragonFly
before, it took me quite a while to figure out where everything was,
but I did it.  I have to give a hearty thanks to the people who put
the DragonFly handbook together; I'd have been really stuck without
it.  From the OpenBSD perspective, I do miss having lynx and sudo as
part of the base install.

Anyway, I think I've either found a package bug or it's just me being
clueless, probably the latter. As part of the Qmail install, I
installed the package daemontools-0.76.  After I setup the service
folders and rebooted, I got boot errors from svscan telling me that
it couldn't start the 'supervise' processes.  After some poking
around, I think the problem is that the supervise program is
installed by the package in /usr/pkg/bin, however that folder is not
in the path of the shell command that the included
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/svscan.sh script runs. When I copied supervise to
/usr/sbin and rebooted, it worked fine. Here's the only command that
the svscan.sh script runs:

exec /bin/csh -cf '/usr/pkg/bin/svscan /var/spool/service &'

Good work on 1.4 btw!

Tim

You'll want to put /usr/pkg/bin and /usr/pkg/sbin in your path;
that'll get them found.  Add it to all your existing users and
/usr/share/skel, I think it is, so that new users on the system get it
too.  There's probably other places I'm not thinking of -
/etc/login.conf, .profile, etc.

I thought the $PATH was changed by default; maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks, I got sidetracked with another project and just now getting back
to Qmail on DFly.  It appears that root, which is what this runs under,
already has those directories in its path, so I don't think that's the
issue.  I'm not very up on RC scripts but I found that the following
modification to the svscan.sh that came with the package worked:

From:
exec /bin/csh -cf '/usr/pkg/bin/svscan /var/spool/service &'
exec env PATH=/usr/pkg/bin:$PATH /bin/csh -cf '/usr/pkg/bin/svscan
/var/spool/service &'

If this is not the best way to do fix this, I'd like to know, especially
if there's a preferred DFly way of doing it.

Tim