sendmail problem

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Tue Jan 17 12:40:56 PST 2006

:Sendmail sometimes crash with signal 11 when I try to send mail. It seems
:to have something to do with the recipient since I can mail rnyberg at xxxxxxxxx
:without problem, but not rnyberg at xxxxxxx Unfortunatley I cannot find any
:core dumps from sendmail (don't know if it would help though).
:
:I'm running df installed from 14.rc2. I haven't updated to the real release.
:Below are some hopefully useful information.
:
:Any ideas?

    Hmm.  The best way to track down what is going on is to isolate the
    queue and data files for the message id (there are usually at least
    two files), copy them somewhere, then try to run them manually from a
    standard user login rather then as root using:

	sendmail -O QueueDirectory=<blah> -q -v

    If you can get sendmail to crash reliably on the queue files then
    compile up a debug version of sendmail then try running the queue
    with that debug version under gdb.

    If you do have queue files that reliably crash sendmail you can also
    upload them to your leaf account, and if running it from leaf also
    crashes sendmail I can do all the dirty work of compiling up a debug
    version and (hopefully) tracking down the problem.