Would DF welcome a phpbb forum?

Sascha Wildner saw at online.de
Tue Jan 17 00:04:04 PST 2006

elekktretterr at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Indeed, it would be like users@, but consider:

1) In what way can you order threads in a mailing list? If we had a
web-based forum we could easilly have stuff related to hardware in one
forum, multimedia in another, pkgsrc in another etc., we could even have a
forum for non df-related stuff.
As others have pointed out, if you don't like mail, there's still the
NNTP server (which I use, too). It has threads, doesn't require you to
login or register (yet another username/password combination I'd have to
remember) and you have all messages back to the very first one. NNTP was
exactly made for the purpose you describe, even though it gets 20 years
old this year.

2) Assume that DF is going to gain much bigger popularity, im not talking
about hundreds of users like now, im talking about thousands. Can you
imagine users@ with 10x (or even more) people posting one over another all
different stuff? Thats confusion! You arent going to attract people to DF
with a mailing list like that.
Well, I think we shouldn't bother about this now. The mailing
lists/newsgroups have so far been good enough for the amount of traffic
DragonFly generates at present time. If that ever becomes a problem, I'm
sure a good solution will be found then.

Sascha

P.S. Your willingness to help out is appreciated, nevertheless. :) It's
just that in this case, personally, I wouldn't feel being helped.