Startx does nothing

elekktretterr at exemail.com.au elekktretterr at exemail.com.au
Thu Jan 12 14:49:47 PST 2006

Im currently away from my testbox, untill february. However I remember
running xinit and X started up. I manged to install xfce from pgksrc, it
started up with startxfce or a command like that, i dont remember, but not
fully: froze on loading. I could however move the mouse and exit with
ctrl+alt+backspace.

Matt wrote:
    I did a from-scratch install on a test box and I was able to
    install xorg from pkgsrc.  startx works for me, though xdm does
    not.

    If startx is not sticking on DNS then perhaps there are two video
    devices in your machine and its slapping the display up on the wrong
    one.

    Doing a 'ktrace -i startx' and looking at the kdump output might provide
    a clue.