Qmail install success on 1.4; possible package bug?

Justin C. Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Sun Jan 8 20:51:08 PST 2006

Tim Darby wrote:

I got Qmail up and running today on 1.4 and it looks good.  Coming
from OpenBSD and having never done anything with FreeBSD or DragonFly
before, it took me quite a while to figure out where everything was,
but I did it.  I have to give a hearty thanks to the people who put
the DragonFly handbook together; I'd have been really stuck without
it.  From the OpenBSD perspective, I do miss having lynx and sudo as
part of the base install.

Anyway, I think I've either found a package bug or it's just me being
clueless, probably the latter. As part of the Qmail install, I
installed the package daemontools-0.76.  After I setup the service
folders and rebooted, I got boot errors from svscan telling me that it
couldn't start the 'supervise' processes.  After some poking around, I
think the problem is that the supervise program is installed by the
package in /usr/pkg/bin, however that folder is not in the path of the
shell command that the included /usr/local/etc/rc.d/svscan.sh script
runs. When I copied supervise to /usr/sbin and rebooted, it worked
fine. Here's the only command that the svscan.sh script runs:

exec /bin/csh -cf '/usr/pkg/bin/svscan /var/spool/service &'

Good work on 1.4 btw!

Tim
You'll want to put /usr/pkg/bin and /usr/pkg/sbin in your path; that'll
get them found.  Add it to all your existing users and /usr/share/skel,
I think it is, so that new users on the system get it too.  There's
probably other places I'm not thinking of - /etc/login.conf, .profile, etc.

I thought the $PATH was changed by default; maybe I'm wrong.