pkgsrc build from source issue?

Justin C. Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Thu Jan 5 12:58:25 PST 2006

On Thu, January 5, 2006 12:08 pm, Matthew Dillon said:

>     Another option is to run the targets in /usr/src/nrelease:
>
>     cd /usr/src/nrelease
>     make pkgsrc_bootstrap
>     make pkgsrc_conf

It looks like there's 3 scenarios:

Fresh install of 1.4: build as above

Upgrade to 1.4, already using pkgsrc: all set

My scenario: upgrade from 1.2 (ports) to 1.4 (pkgsrc): either remove all
ports and then build as above, or build the bootstrap with a custom
pkgdbdir, as the default is the same as that used by ports, and then
remove ports as needed.

In a perfect world, I'd remove one port at a time and add the pkgsrc
replacement as it becomes available.  I can't just clear off the machine
completely of ports, because there aren't pkgsrc equivalents for some of
the things I need, plus it'd make the machine unuseful for a while.  Argh.

I'm not typing this just to vent - pkgsrc usage needs to be documented
both on the wiki and in the handbook... which means I need to find some
time.