C++ compilations times

Antonio Bravo tonio at portalen.no
Thu Jan 19 08:55:36 PST 2006

Den Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:23:48 -0500, skrev Justin C. Sherrill:

> On Thu, January 19, 2006 10:31 am, Antonio Bravo wrote:
>> Curious about getting documentation or tips if possible.
>>
>> I have build JDK14 yesterday from pkgsrc/wip and it took more  than 6
>> hours on a box where the same JDK is built in about 3 hours for NetBSD or
>> OpenBSD...
>> Similar thing do happen with the other c++ beasts like KDE, it takes
>> roughly more x2 time to build.Insane.
>> I know zero about c++, but if someone can point to some docs about that
>> issue I will appreciate much.Thanks!
>
> Are you using the same version of pkgsrc-wip on each machine?  Is the same
> number of dependencies being installed on each machine?  (i.e. the
> NetBSD/OpenBSD systems where you did this didn't already have some of the
> needed packages?)

(well for OpenBSD, it's not from pkgsrc-wip but from their own port).
On all three systems, Net, Open and DragonFly, all required dependencies
were already in place.The linux packages and the linux JDK.
Only the bootstrap and build of Java itself had to be run.
The only difference is the level version of the BSD patchset from
eyesbeyond.com, which was version 7 when I built JDK on Net and Open a
couple monthes ago, and it's version 8 now.

For JDK it's not so annoying.Once build it can be used for a while.
But when one wants to play with KDE builds, twice the time on DragonFly is
painful...
Most of all I wonder about the how and why.
Gcc versions ? OS own's optimizations ? etc ?

--
"Men alt dette er ikke begyndelsen." - Knut HAMSUN, Mysterier, 1892