Some problems from a newbie (DragonFly) BSD user

Jose timofonic soytimofonico at yahoo.es
Tue Jan 31 12:47:19 PST 2006

Hello,

as some people know in the IRC channel and this ML,
I'm a newbie dfbsd user (and used very few BSD
systems, mostly Linux since some years) and I have
some weird problems:

- Accidentally deleted .profile and .login from root,
then copied the one from my non-root user. I did some
changes to those files from my user, after this the
PATH of root seems to not being used. In my user, all
paths seems to work fine except /usr/pkg/xorg/bin .
I'm using zsh as shell but using the both scripts for
executing zsh as shell (not know why not executes when
configuring my user to use zsh, maybe because it's on
/usr/pkg/bin/zsh instead /bin/zsh?).

- When I connect my 3com 812 ADSL router by serial
port to the computer using dfbsd, sometimes fails to
boot because sending commands to the router or
something. After this, reboots. I must disconnect the
router from the serial port for never having those
problems.

- Sometimes the boot system freezes after showing the
keyboard and screen configuration stuff (console
font...). This is fixed pressing CTRL+C and then
continuing to load, but I don't have internet. For
fixing this, I must reconnect the line of my adsl
router after or before booting the system. It's this a
dfbsd bug with my router or my router is getting old?
It's a 3com 812 ADSL router, it's a bit outdated but
still not enough money for a new one (maybe in a few
months..).

- I detected that Mozilla Firefox is slower on dfbsd
than Linux, even using the same versions of software.
This is because some known problem, pkgsrc having
problems when optimizing packages for the processor or
only a few packages like Mozilla Firefox? The slowdown
is noticeable, specially when changing tabs and
Firefox), but most of the other stuff seems OK.

- Someone know my weird problems when pasting text
using moused to the irc channel, this is mostly fixed
after configuring better the keymap (spanish.iso) and
scrnmap (iso-8859-1_to_cp437) and font8x16
(cp437-8x16). But the problem now is that I can't
write correctly accents (when pressing the spanish
accent key, it's showed ü that is an u with two points
on it). I don't know why occour this.

I hope somebody can help me to solve my problems with
dfbsd, I use it and seems an excellent operating
system but those problems avoid me to use it fully.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
timofonic

LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.