NVIDIA driver

Emiel Kollof emiel at gamepoint.net
Thu Feb 16 01:46:10 PST 2006

Op donderdag 16 februari 2006 01:42, schreef Danial Thom:

I know you are trolling again, but I'll bite this time. Don't bother replying
to this as I don't have the desire to make this another friggin' Thread From
Hell(tm).

> I wonder if the open source weenies will ever
> figure it out?

Figure what out? I think we have it figured out better than you will ever do.

> They made a business decision that they have more
> to lose by opening their interface to cloners
> then they have to gain by releasing source and
> interface specs. Its not really that complicated.

It would be nice (and ideal), but they don't have to. In nVidia's case, they
can have a lump of binary code (an object file) that they can keep closed and
provide a glue that can be hacked to hell and back (which is the case with
the kernel part of the nVidia driver). Would be nice if this is the case with
the userland bits as well. I know it can be done. I know for a fact that
Matrox used to ship a closed up binary lump that would work in multiple
operating systems to enable the use of their HAL feature in their cards in
X11/Xorg.

What nVidia does is (IMHO) a dumb buisness decision. It might work for them,
but they alienate people while they don't really have to. You are also
forgetting that no hardware will ever stay closed because reverse engineering
is always possible. It might take longer, but it can realistically be done.
So it's a security through obscurity type deal, which is bound to backfire
anyway. If some competitor of nVidia decides to clone an nVidia GFX card,
they can. If they have access to the hardware (which is as easy as just
buying the thing in the store).

Cheers,
Emiel
--
You will be traveling and coming into a fortune.