Qmail install success on 1.4; possible package bug?

Tim Darby t-df at timdarby.net
Fri Feb 10 09:04:10 PST 2006

joerg at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Sat, Jan 14, 2006 at 09:22:27PM -0700, Tim Darby wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions!  I installed qmail totally manually, since I
didn't see a DFly package for it.
There is no binary package because it can't be build without patching
and therefore the package is restricted.
Joerg
Joerg,

I noticed there is a binary package for Qmail now.  Thanks!  I tried it,
but it seemed to only partially work.  That is, it installed all the
binaries, but qmail-send failed to start.  Qmail-smtpd and Qmail-pop3d
do start.  When I looked into what was going on, I found that the
installer had not created the file /var/qmail/queue/lock/sendmutex.
Beyond that, it hadn't created any of the subdirectories or files under
/var/qmail/queue.  After manually creating sendmutex, I found that
qmail-send still wouldn't start and that's when I noticed that lspawn
and rspawn, which send depends on, weren't starting either.  I haven't
had time to figure out the problem with those and they don't give any
errors when they fail.

Thanks again for the package work,
Tim