Idle question about multi-core processors

Chris Csanady cc at 137.org
Fri Dec 1 15:48:04 PST 2006

On 12/1/06, Justin C. Sherrill <justin at shiningsilence.com> wrote:
On Fri, December 1, 2006 2:55 pm, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> Do people think I should work on that for the January release instead
> of the virtual kernel support?  I really only have time to do one or the
> other.
Will this last bit of BGL removal cause a significant speed improvement?
If so, I'd pick that.  The virtual kernel support is more developer
oriented (as I understand it), and so if it gets finished just after
release rather than before, it won't change things much, as the people who
would use it are probably already running HEAD.
I tend to agree with this sentiment.  BGL aside though, I think that
the VFS is still largely serial, and filesystems will remain an issue.
That probably is not a week long project.  From my understanding, it
would probably be easier to do the ZFS port than to untangle the mess
that is FFS.
Chris