Idle question about multi-core processors

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Dec 1 11:57:56 PST 2006

:Speaking of that,
:How long do you think it will be until the BGL can be removed from the
:largest subsystems and we will see the real benefit on SMP systems in
:DragonFly?
:-Jonas

    There really isn't much left.  It would take one experienced person maybe
    a week to run through all the code paths and deal with the few remaining
    issues, with the provisio that the packet filter would still probably
    need either the BGL or its own lock.

    Do people think I should work on that for the January release instead of
    the virtual kernel support?  I really only have time to do one or the
    other.