questions about interfaces

David Cuthbert dacut at kanga.org
Sun Aug 27 21:55:53 PDT 2006

Bill Hacker wrote:
David Cuthbert wrote:
Heh... imagine if the loopback interface actually required hardware.
Imagine?  'Remember when' you mean...

It exists because there was a time when hardware *was* required, and one
did not always have arms long enough...
I remember using (and still use) this for modems and serial ports (doing
local and remote loopback tests), but never in the context of an IP
loopback connection.  This is probably because all of my experience with
IP/TCP/UDP has been on top of a OS+stack that someone else wrote and
debugged, running on hardware that wasn't too terribly esoteric.