System downtime wednesday for maintainance.

Jason Smethers jason at smethers.net
Wed Aug 16 17:56:35 PDT 2006

Matthew Dillon wrote:
    The systems are up again except for pkgbox.dragonflybsd.org.  apcupsd
    has been integrated and tested.
    There's nothing wrong with pkgbox's disks but the motherboard failed
    to power up.  In fact, both my Asus A8N SLI-Delux machines (apollo and
    pkgbox) failed to power up.  The green standby LED works but no fans,
    no main power, no nothing.  I've determined that it isn't the power supply
    and it still didn't boot up with all the peripherals and cards removed
    so it looks like a motherboard problem.
    After some fiddling.. wiggling various things, I managed to get apollo
    to power up, but pkgbox is dead.  I am going to replace both motherboards
    so pkgbox will probably be dead for the rest of the week.
I've had similar problems with the Asus A8N-SLI Delux and Premium
motherboards. After about 6 months, they would not longer start without
reseting the CMOS. Soon after I could only get them to start after
temporarily grounding the green power-on wire connected to the ATX power
 connector till the fans spin, and then hitting the case's power switch.

I also used a power supply of another A8N-SLI Delux to test these
motherboards. After transferring the power supply back to the original
motherboard, that board immediately developed the same issues.

Replacing all the power supplies with brand new ATX version 2.2 power
supplies seems to have fixed it so far, though I have had one of them
spontaneously turn off a few times as if the motherboard had overloaded
the power supply.

This seems to be a common problem with the A8N boards.

- Jason